Extended Essay in Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences Topics
An extended essay can be an effective way to learn more about a specific topic within the area of Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences. It is important to not just understand the material, but to also be able to communicate and convey your ideas in writing. The EE provides an opportunity to showcase your skills in research, analysis and evaluation.
The EE should be between 4000-4500 words and will require you to utilize appropriate materials and sources. You should choose a topic of interest that has scope for further investigation, and then use various research methods such as interviews, reading, surveys etc, to collect data and analyze the results. This will enable you to develop a thesis statement which will be the backbone of your EE.
The EE should start with an introduction which should include the overall purpose of your EE, the research question, the hypothesis and how you plan to answer it. This should be followed by a literature review which gives an overview of the existing knowledge and relevant research in the field. The body of the EE should be divided into different sections, where you demonstrate your understanding and provide evidence and examples to validate your argument.
The last section should be the conclusion, which should summarize your main points, provide a conclusion based on your research and data collected, and provide evidence for recommendations for further study or research. It is important to bear in mind that the EE should be written in a logical manner, and you should adhere to the norms and format of academic writing.
Definition of Sports, Exercise and Health Sciences
Sports, exercise and health sciences (SEHS) is a broad field that refers to the study of physical activities that promote wellbeing and health. Generally speaking, it encompasses any activity related to individual or group physical recreation, athletics, and health and wellness. Examples include aerobic exercise and strength training, as well as sports like soccer, basketball, and swimming. SEHS also includes alternative practices such as yoga, tai chi, and Pilates.
SEHS looks at how physical activities can help people to live and maintain a healthy lifestyle. It also investigates how physical activities can improve physical abilities, psychological and emotional well-being, and overall health. SEHS also covers topics such as how to diagnose and treat sports injuries, how to design exercise programs for all ages and levels, and how to optimize performance for athletes and teams.
How to Select an Appropriate Topic for Your Extended Essay
Writing an extended essay can be a daunting experience, especially if the topic you choose isn’t suitable. It is important to do your research and find an interesting and relevant topic in the field of Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences. To help you get started, here are some useful tips on selecting an appropriate topic.
1. Choose Something You’re Interested In
The first step to finding a great extended essay topic is to choose something that you are passionate about and interested in. This will make it easier to spend long hours researching and writing, ensuring that your work is of a high standard. Having a genuine interest in your topic can also help to keep your motivation levels up and make the process enjoyable.
2. Research Your Topic
When selecting a topic, it’s important to conduct preliminary research to find out what topics have already been covered and to ensure that there is enough material available for you to write about. Make sure that your topic is not too broad or too narrow, as this can make it difficult to research thoroughly.
3. Ask for Guidance
If you’re still having difficulty choosing a topic, it can be helpful to speak to your teacher, mentor or supervisor for advice or guidance. They should be able to provide feedback on your ideas and offer suggestions on how to make them more suitable. Seeking guidance can also help to narrow down your choice and ensure that your topic is suitable.
4. Brainstorm Ideas
Once you have identified an area of interest and done some initial research, it can be helpful to brainstorm potential topics. Writing down all of your ideas, no matter how silly they may seem, can help to refine your search and make it easier to identify possible topics. This will also allow you to narrow down your choices to a few key topics that you can then research further.
5. Narrow Down Your Choices
Once you have identified some potential topics, it is important to narrow down your choices until you find a topic that is suitable. Consider factors such as the scope of the topic, the availability of information, and the resources that you have available. Choosing a topic that is manageable and feasible will ensure that your extended essay is successful.
By taking the time to select an appropriate topic for your extended essay in Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences, you can ensure that the finished product is both interesting and relevant. By following these steps, you can make the process of choosing a topic easier and more enjoyable.
Exploring Potential Extended Essay Questions on Sports
When writing an extended essay in sports, exercise and health sciences, you need to come up with an interesting topic that’s well researched. The topics should be related to the field and offer some new insights. It can be difficult to find the right topic, but the following list of questions might provide some ideas.
Questions about sports performance
- What is the impact of strength training on cyclists’ muscle performance?
- How has advancements in sports equipment impacted athlete’s performance?
- What are the implications of gender disparity in professional sports scholarships?
- How do sports teams use analytics to improve their performance?
- Do individuals perform better when they work in teams or on their own?
- What is the impact of different sports diets on athletes’ performance?
- In what ways have changes in technology allowed for improved sports performance?
- What are the psychological effects of team sport?
Questions about sports injuries
- What are the most common injuries associated with professional contact sports?
- What strategies can be used to prevent sports-related injuries?
- How do athletes go about recovering from serious injuries?
- What measures can be taken to reduce the risk of concussions in contact sports?
- How can the risk of overuse injuries be reduced in professional athletes?
- Should the age restrictions for young athletes participating in contact sports be adjusted?
- What are the most effective treatments for sports-related injuries?
- What is the impact of nutrition on injury recovery?
These are just some of the potential extended essay questions on sports that you can explore. Remember that you should pick a topic that is of interest to you and well-researched. With the right topic, your extended essay can be engaging and informative.
Potential Extended Essay Questions on Exercise
Exercise is a vital part of physical and mental wellbeing. In this section, we’ll explore some potential extended essay questions related to exercise and physical health.
Questions Related to Behavior Change
- What strategies have been used to modify behaviors related to fitness and health outcomes?
- How have social norms affected behavior change related to physical activity?
- Would introducing a rewards system at the workplace have an effect on physical activity levels?
Questions Related to Diet and Exercise
- How do different dietary patterns influence physical activity behavior?
- Does intermittent fasting lead to improved metabolic health?
- Do physical activity levels affect diet quality?
Questions Related to Mental Health
- How does exercise impact mental health?
- What factors affect adherence to exercise programs for individuals with mental health issues?
- Does physical activity reduce anxiety and depression?
Questions Related to Exercise Programs
- What are the most effective methods to motivate people to participate in physical activity?
- Are there any differences between different types of exercise programs?
- How can technology be used to improve the effectiveness of physical activity programs?
Exercise can have a profound effect on both physical and mental health, making it a great topic to explore in your extended essay. Consider the questions listed above when coming up with a research topic related to exercise.
Potential extended essay questions on Health Sciences
Health sciences is a broad field, incorporating many different topics and approaches. When deciding on an extended essay topic in health sciences, it can be difficult to know where to begin. Here are some potential topics that may act as inspiration:
- What are the effects of nutrition on physical development in adolescents?
- What are the health benefits of regular exercise for adults over the age of 50?
- How does modern day stress impact mental health, and what strategies can be implemented to reduce this?
- What factors influence the effectiveness of preventative health care strategies in low-income communities?
- What role do health education programs play in reducing the incidence of disease?
- What impact does air pollution have on public health in urban environments?
When deciding on a topic, it is important to narrow down the field and pick one area of health sciences to focus on. This will help you to develop a specific research question or hypothesis and conduct research to answer it. If you’re stuck for ideas, your teacher or supervisor can provide valuable guidance. They will also be able to help you identify relevant literature sources and data sources from which to draw information.
How to Begin & Structure an Extended EssayStarting an extended essay can be daunting, especially for those new to the concept. Fear not! This guide will help you begin and structure your essay in the best way possible, so you have a great chance of success.
Finding a TopicFirst of all, you will need to decide on a topic. It is important that you choose something that interests you and that you are knowledgeable about. Your school or institution may have a list of possible topics, or you can look online for extended essay topics which fit within your chosen field – Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences.
Planning & OutliningOnce you’ve decided upon a topic, it’s time to start planning and outlining your essay. Start by breaking your essay down into sections, or chapters. This will help you plan out what information you need to include, and what order it should come in. It can also be useful to create a timeline of when each part needs to be completed. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time for research and writing, as well as for proofreading and editing.
Research & WritingIt’s important to remember that an extended essay requires you to show evidence of research. You should use reliable sources, such as academic journals, books, and official websites, to back up your arguments. Make sure to write down the source of each piece of information as you go, so you can easily reference them later on. Once you’ve collated your research, it’s time to write. Remember to keep to the structure you planned out earlier, and make sure to include enough detail to explain your points clearly.
Proofreading & ReferencingFinally, it’s essential to proofread your essay carefully before submitting it. Check for any errors in grammar or punctuation, and make sure your argument flows logically. If you used any quotes or information from other sources, make sure you provide accurate references. Once you’re sure everything is correct, you’re ready to hand in your extended essay! Good luck!
Advice on Using Sources and Referencing
When it comes to writing an extended essay, sources and referencing are essential. Properly citing your sources should be done throughout your essay, not just at the end. This allows you to accurately prove your points and show that you have done research into the topic.
When using sources in your essay, make sure that the sources you use are reliable and accurate sources. Avoid using websites or sources with biased information, such as blogs or opinion pieces. Instead, rely on sources from academic journals, major news sources, or government agencies.
When mentioning information from a source, be sure to cite it correctly. Generally, you should include the author’s name, publication date, and the page number, if applicable. If you are referencing a website, you should include the URL. The most commonly used citation styles are APA and MLA, but check with your instructor to see which style is preferred.
It is important to be aware of potential plagiarism when writing an extended essay. Plagiarism is taking someone else’s words or ideas and passing them off as your own. You should always give credit to the original author when quoting or paraphrasing someone else’s work. It is also important to be aware of accidental plagiarism, which is when you forget to cite a certain source. To avoid this, make sure to keep track of all sources you reference in your paper and cite them accordingly.
Common Mistakes to Look Out ForWhen writing an extended essay in sports, exercise and health sciences topics, there are some common mistakes to watch out for. As you are likely to spend a significant amount of time on this essay, you want to make sure your work is of the highest quality.
Confusing the TopicBe very careful not to confuse the topics. Make sure you are clear on exactly what the extended essay is asking of you and avoid broad or vague topics. Decide on one or two key points that you would like to focus on and ensure you research these thoroughly.
Not ReferencingIn academic writing, it is essential that all sources you use be properly referenced. Not only does this demonstrate that you have properly researched the material, but it also prevents plagiarism. When citing sources, make sure to include the title, the author, the date the work was published, and any other relevant information.
Inadequate ResearchWhen researching for the extended essay in sports, exercise and health sciences topics, make sure to limit yourself to reliable sources such as peer-reviewed journals and scientific articles. Avoid resources that lack credibility and accuracy.
Poor ArgumentationA well-structured argument forms the basis of a successful extended essay. Make sure that each point you make is supported by evidence and follows a logical order. Analyse each point carefully and look out for any gaps in the argument.
Incorrect FormattingWhen writing the extended essay, make sure to follow the correct formatting guidelines. This includes using the correct font size, double spacing and inserting page numbers. Make sure to include a header with the title and all relevant information.
Lack of EngagementWhen writing the extended essay, make sure to engage the reader. Use strong language and persuasive arguments to draw the reader in. You may find it helpful to add anecdotes or quotes from experts to further engage the reader. By avoiding these common errors and following the guidelines, you can ensure that your extended essay in sports, exercise and health sciences topics is of the highest quality. Taking the time to proofread your work and ensuring that all sources are correctly cited will help you to achieve the best possible results.
Writing a Conclusion for the Extended EssayWriting a conclusion for an extended essay can be difficult, but with careful thought and planning, it is possible to write a great one!
The Function of a ConclusionA conclusion is the last part of your essay and its purpose is to summarise your main arguments and leave the reader with a final thought or opinion. It should give a brief overview of what was discussed in the essay and should draw together any loose ends that were left from the body of the essay.
Steps for Writing a Conclusion
- Start with restating your thesis statement. This is to remind the reader of your main point and to link your conclusion back to the beginning of the essay.
- Briefly summarise the main points of your essay. You don’t need to go into too much detail here, simply mention the key ideas you discussed in the essay.
- Provide a final thought that reflects on your essay topic. This could be something such as why the topic is important or how it has developed over time.
- End with a final sentence that sums up the essay and reiterates your initial thesis statement.
Tips for Writing a Great Conclusion
- Be concise. Avoid introducing new ideas in the conclusion, only refer back to the points you have already mentioned.
- Write confidently. Do not apologise for the points you have made and do not be overly self-critical.
- Avoid including any references. The conclusion should rely on the evidence presented in the essay itself and not on any external sources.
Examples of Extended Essay Topics
Choosing an extended essay topic can be difficult for students, particularly if they are unsure about available options. To help you get started, here are some examples of extended essay topics that could be explored in the field of Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences:
- Examining the impact of technology on physical activity levels of adolescents
- Exploring the role of social media in sports marketing
- How have advancements in sports science impacted the performance of elite athletes?
- The effectiveness of strength and conditioning coaches in professional sports
- What is the impact of diet on physical performance in athletes?
- Exploring the use of sport as a tool for social and political change
- Evaluating the impact of the specific training program on a team’s performance
- Analyzing the impact of exercise on mental health
- Examining the different methods used to reduce the risk of injury in athletes
- The effectiveness of using mindfulness techniques to manage stress in athletes
- Assessing the influence of sleep on athletic performance in teenage athletes
These are just a few extended essay topics related to Sports, Exercise, and Health Sciences that you might explore, so think outside the box and find something unique to write about!
Summarising the Key Points
Writing an extended essay in the sports, exercise and health sciences field is an exciting opportunity to explore a topic you’re passionate about. To create a quality essay, you will need to research a specific topic, present your findings and make your own conclusions. It’s a great way to express yourself!
In this guide, we have covered the following points:
- An overview of what an extended essay is.
- The definition of Sports, Exercise and Health Sciences.
- How to select an appropriate topic for your extended essay.
- Potential extended essay questions on Sports.
- Potential extended essay questions on Exercise.
- Potential extended essay questions on Health Sciences.
- How to structure and begin writing the extended essay.
- Advice on using sources and referencing.
- Common mistakes to look out for.
- Writing a conclusion for the extended essay.
- Examples of extended essay topics.
By following these tips and taking a look at some extended essay examples, you should have all the necessary tools to create a well-structured and engaging extended essay.